Total cook time -- 45 minutes
- 6-10 slices bacon (fatty beef would also work i think)
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth (i used 1 cup broth, 1/2 cup red cooking wine)
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 teaspoons red pepper powder, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (don't use too much or it'll taste weird)
- 1/2 tablespoon basil
- creole seasoning -- until desired spiciness is reached
- Cook bacon in a greased, deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, pepper and shallot and saute until bacon is nearly cooked. Add rice, and cook until rice is browned and onions are tender.
- Stir in broth and tomatoes. Season with red pepper, cumin, salt, garlic powder, basil, and creole seasoning . Cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.
- This is an awesome side dish. I also think mushrooms would saute well into this recipe...and more tomatoes would be ok too.